One of the best ways to immerse yourself in Barcelona’s beauty is by taking the Montjuic Cable Car.
Known locally as the Teleferico de Montjuïc, this journey offers an unparalleled view of Barcelona, perfectly blending excitement with the majestic allure of Montjuic.
This aerial ride from the lower mountain to the heights of Montjuic promises to elevate your Barcelona experience to new peaks.
Montjuic Cable Car: The Castle Cable Car of Barcelona
The name ‘cable car’ doesn’t exactly sell itself, so let’s break down what the Montjuic Cable Car really is.
It’s an aerial tramway that connects the lower area of the city to the peak of Barcelona’s biggest hill: Montjuic Hill.
Gliding over Barcelona, this Montjuic castle cable car feels like a flight across the city’s skyline, offering a Peter Pan-like adventure.
Boarding at the Montjuic Park station, anticipation builds as you ascend, revealing panoramic views of Barcelona’s sprawling beauty.
Why Ride the Montjuic Cable Car?
- It’s More than just Transportation:
- The cable car serves as a gateway to a spectacular Barcelona experience: Montjuic Castle.
- It offers unparalleled views of Barcelona, the Mediterranean, and Montjuic’s greenery.
- Must-Do for Views and Adventure:
- Ideal for those seeking views, green spaces, and an adrenaline rush.
- Anticipation and Panoramic Views:
- Anticipation builds as you enter the cable car.
- Dramatic ascension to breathtaking views of Barcelona.
- Experience a moment suspended in time, above the city’s hustle.
- Unique Vantage Point:
- Landmarks like Sagrada Familia appear as miniatures.
- Serene glide offers a peaceful retreat from city life.
- Views stretch to the horizon.
- Unforgettable Experience:
- Offers a rare perspective of Barcelona, unparalleled except for maybe Park Guell.
- Connects with Montjuic’s history and natural beauty.
Is the Montjuic Cable Car Worth It?
The Montjuic Cable Car remains an unparalleled method to experience Barcelona from above.
It effortlessly bridges the gap between urban vistas and the city’s greenery, providing an adventure enhanced by spectacular vistas that make it an essential visit.
If you like once in a lifetime views of the city, this is an easy addition to my list of best things to do in Barcelona.
Montjuic Cable Car Prices
Single trip tickets for the Montjuic Cable car cost €12.50 (Child 4-12: €10.44) and can be bought below:
Return tickets for the Barcelona Cable Car to Montjuic castle are priced at €13.50.
You can save 10% on your return tickets if you book online using the button below:
Children aged 0-6 can travel for free with one way tickets.
How to Get to the Montjuic Cable Car
To reach the Montjuic Cable Car from Barcelona, take the Barcelona metro to Parallel station (L2 or L3 lines).
From there, catch the Funicular de Montjuic, which takes you partway up the hill.
Once you exit the funicular, it’s a short walk to the Montjuic Cable Car station, where you can board the cable car for a scenic ride up to Montjuic Castle.
Montjuic Cable Car Stops Map
Montjuic Cable Car Hours
The Montjuic Cable Car timetable varies depending on the month, with more limited hours during Barcelona winter months.
Here’s the Montjuic cable car hours for 2024:
- January 1st to February 28th: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- March 1st to May 31st: 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
- June 1st to September 11th: 10:00 am to 9:00 pm
- October: 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
- November 1st to December 31st: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and January 6th: 10:00 am to 2:30 pm
A Warning: Don’t Confuse the Montjuic Cable Car with the Port Cable Car
It’s easy to mix up the Montjuic Cable Car with the Port Cable Car, also known as the Transbordador Aeri del Port.
While both provide stunning views, they cover different routes. The Montjuic Cable Car operates within Montjuic itself, offering a direct route from the Estaciò Funicular at Avenida Miramar to the castle atop Montjuic.
Remember, the Montjuic cars are silver, distinguishing them from the red port cable cars.
For those aiming to explore Montjuic’s peak and its historic castle, the Teleferico de Montjuïc is your gateway.
The Port Cable Car is for people who want to get to Montjuic from the beach/port.
Cable Car to Montjuic FAQ
How to get the Montjuic Cable Car?
To get the Montjuic Cable Car take the metro to Parallel, then the Funicular de Montjuic, and walk to the cable car station.
How long does the Montjuic cable car take?
The Montjuic Cable Car ride takes about 10 minutes.
Where does the Montjuic cable car start?
The Montjuic Cable Car starts at the Montjuic Park station, near the Funicular de Montjuic exit.
Wow much is Montjuic cable car?
A single ticket for the Montjuic Cable Car costs €12.50 and the return ticket costs €13.50.
Need More Info on the Parc de Montjuic Cable Car?
The cable car to Montjuic castle is one of those hidden gems in Barcelona, that’s actually in plain sight.
That said, if you’re still a bit confused about anything don’t be afraid to get in touch in the comments below.
Enjoy the Montjuic Barcelona Cable Car! 🙂