In recent years Barcelona has been converted into a veritable Mecca of the gay-friendly tourist. We just had to dedicate a post to the best the city has to offer. With a little help from my friend Michele I hope we can bring you the best of the best.
There’s a wide selection of gay bars, discobars and nightclubs mostly centered in Eixample (pronounced ‘eh-jAHm-pluh’) or as it’s known in the gay community: “Gayxample”.
Eixample is a very central district found between Carrer Comte d’Urgell /Aribau and Carrer Aragò/Sepulveda.
You’ll likely be able to get there walking from your hotel.
Barcelona’s Best Gay Bars
In Eixample you’ll find a wide range of gay-friendly bars where you can drink a few cocktails or beers without getting too crazy. The METRO STOP is the same for each bar: Universitat on the purple or red lines L1 or L2.
- DACKSY. ADDRESS: Carrer Consell de Cent 247. A cocktail lounge good for a nightcap. Open till 3.
- DIETRICH. ADDRESS: Carrer Consell de Cent 255. Famous for drag queen shows.
- ATAME. ADDRESS: Carrer Consell de Cent 257. Don’t miss the Monday karaoke.
- MIND THE GAP. ADDRESS: Carrer Consell de Cent 273. Also a great restaurant.
- MOEEM. ADDRESS: Carrer Muntaner 11. Pop, dance, and contemporary RnB.
- PEOPLE LOUNGE: ADDRESS: Carrer Villarroel 71. An elegant lounge.
Barcelona’s Best Gay “Disco-Clubs”
When you definitely want a drink with at least an OPTION to dance. Among the most famous gay bars in Barcelona there are a few where you can have a drink and a dance without getting too carried away. Unless of course you want to!
- EL CANGREJO. AREA: Raval. ADDRESS: Carrer de Montserrat 9. METRO: Drassanes, green line L3. Equal parts kitsch and gay-friendly, frequented by a happy and diverse crowd. Don’t miss the Drag Queen show around midnight.
- EL CANGREJO. AREA: Eixample. ADDRESS: Carrer Villarroel 81. METRO: Urgell, linea rossa L1. Owned by the same people as its sister bar in Raval, here you’ll be able to dance to modern hits and Spanish music just the same. Without a doubt one of the most popular Gayxample bars.
- MUSEUM. AREA: Universitat. ADDRESS: Carrer Sepulveda 74. METRO: Universitat, red line L1 or purple L2. Owned by the same people as EL CANGREJO, this is one of the key bars in the Barcelona gay movement. With its walls decorated with contemporary paintings though, it won’t be the cheapest bar on this list. Frequented most commonly by 30-somethings with money to burn.
Barcelona’s Best Gay Clubs
- ARENA. This famous club has opened many locations throughout Barcelona. Check out their official website to find out which one suits you best. La Classicand la Madre are at the corner of Carrer Balmes and Carrer Diputació (METRO: Universitat), while La Vip and La Dandy are at the corner of Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes and Rambla de Catalunya (METRO: Passeig de Gracia).
- AIRE SALA DIANA. NEIGHBOURHOOD: Eixample. ADDRESS: Carrer Valencia 236. METRO: Passeig de Gracia or Diagonal. Again in Gayxample, this spot caters toward a lesbian audience.
- LA METRO. NEIGHBOURHOOD: Universitat. ADDRESS: Carrer Sepulveda 185. METRO: Universitat. Another very famous club on the circuit, if you’re at Meseum it’s best to take advantage of your proximity a grab a drink.
Barcelona’s Best Gay Nights
Many of Barcelona’s most famous clubs have many have gay nights. Here’s the best of the best:
- SALA APOLO. NEIGHBOURHOOD: Parallel. ADDRESS: Carrer Nou de la Rambla 113. METRO: Parallel, green line L3. The first Sunday of every month there’s ”Let’s Dance With ______”, each night a tribute to a famous singer ranging from the Spice Girls, to Britney Spears, Madonna, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc.
The second Sunday of the month, in room 2, from 18:00 to 22:30 (the same as” Let’s Dance With ______”), is “Churros con Chocolate” night . Both of these parties are in the ‘afternoon’ to get you warmed up for the real party that starts later at City Hall (read below)
- CITY HALL. NEIGHBOURHOOD: Plaça Catalunya. ADDRESS: Rambla de Catalunya 2-4. METRO: Catalunya. This club’s gay night is on Sunday where patrons dance in the famous Black Room.
- SALA ISTINTO. NEIGHBOURHOOD: Plaça Espanya. ADDRESS: Carrer Mexic 7. METRO: Espanya, green line L3 or red L1. The first Friday of every month is Pop Air night, an enormously fun time especially for bear hunters… but according to Michele it’s a place for everyone as 98% of the crowd is gay… and beautiful!
Additional Gay Travel Info
Don’t let the search stop here at a few bars.
Adam at TravelsofAdam has compiled one of the greatest travel resources on the internet. If you’re looking for gay hotel chains, Pride dates, fashion stops and more his Gay Barcelona Guide will take you through your whole trip like crack of a whip!
How Was It?
Let me know how the party went in the comments below. I’m always looking to better the articles and they get better with comments from helpful people like you! 😉
For more nightlife check out our article best clubs in Barcelona.
Looking for more stuff to do? Check what to see in Barcelona in 3 days.