On holiday you’ll find cabs from the Barcelona taxi system everywhere – you likely won’t wait more than a minute and prices are cheaper than most major European cities.
With a few precautions taking a taxi in Barcelona can be a great way to get around.
Before getting started you may also want to take a look at Taxileader.
This fully licensed, highly regulated taxi company is a great service to get a free quote on your ride in just seconds. It’s my go-to option for getting a taxi from the airport.
How to Get a Taxi in Barcelona
Honestly, if you’ve picked one of the best areas to stay in Barcelona you likely won’t have to wait more than a few minutes to hail an official black and yellow taxi in the street.
Look for fluorescent green lights in the windows – these ones are free.
To book a taxi in advance call +34 93 225 0000 (mandatory for more than 4 passengers).
⚠️ Warning ⚠️: Barcelona’s top two attractions must now be booked in advance.
You can book fast track tickets to both individually or get them as part of a discount pass:
- ⛪ Buy now: Sagrada Familia Fast Track Admission (skip the lines)
- 🏞️ Buy now: Park Guell Fast Track Admission (skip the lines)
- 🎟️ Buy now: Best of Barcelona Bundle (Sagrada + Park Guell + 10% discount code for all else)
You will not be able to book these tickets on site – lock in your tickets ASAP or you could miss out.
You can also book Barcelona taxis using any of their company-supported apps.
There’s a useful taxi fare calculator available online.
Barcelona Taxi Prices 2023
There is a minimum charge of €2.55 depending on the time of day.
A typical taxi trip in the city costs €7.00 to €15.00.
|One hour waiting
- Tariff T1. Weekdays from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
- Tariff T2. Weekdays from 8:00 pm to 8:00 am + Saturdays and holidays from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
- Tariff T3. This is a fixed price tariff that can only be booked using an app. For more info consult the list of taxi companies that use apps in Barcelona. Basically, the fare will be ‘locked in’ from the moment of booking so no meter runs.
- Tariff T4. This is the fixed price of a taxi journey from Barcelona El Prat Airport to the Port of Barcelona.
- Airport: €4.50 (the minimum charge to Barcelona is €21.00).
- Barcelona cruise terminal/port: €4.50.
- Major Barcelona transit stations (Sants and the Exhibition Centre): €2.50.
- Special nights (23-24 June, 24-25-31 December, January 1st): €3.10.
- Wheelchairs, strollers, guide dog: Free.
- 4-8 passenger vehicles: €3.10
Taxis at Barcelona Airport
There are taxi stands in both terminals which are easily found following the signs outside departures. The minimum airport charge from El Prat airport is €21.00.
The typical cost of a taxi from Barcelona airport to the centre is between €30.00 to €35.00. From Terminal 1 (T1) expect to pay about €30.00 while Terminal 2 (T2) is about €35.00.
For groups larger than four ask one of the taxi stand attendants to call a van taxi (€4.30 supplement).
Barcelona Taxi Safety and Complaints
This isn’t a trip to the ‘big square’ in Marrakesh – we’re taking a taxi in Barcelona!
Drivers are required by law to run on the meter so you’re unlikely to get ripped off.
The ones I’ve dealt with are honest. Whether I’m speaking to them in Spanish or doing a ‘marketing test’ in English the results are the same: a logical route with no hassles.
I’ve heard very few bad Barcelona taxi stories, and most came from people who enjoyed Barcelona’s best nightlife a little too much. If you’re tipsy just get in that cab, pronounce the name of your hotel or Airbnb confidently, and pay attention!
Bad experience? Ask for a receipt (un recibo) and cite it using this taxi complaint form.
The form must be mailed to: Metropolitan Taxi Institute, Carrer Número 62 No. 18, Barcelona, Spain, 08040.
Wheelchair Accessible Taxis in Barcelona
While typical Barcelona taxis are not outfitted for disabled visitors there is a separate company called Taxi Amic. These spacious tailor-made taxis come with a special ramp to accommodate wheelchairs.
Timetable: weekdays from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm, weekends 8:00 am to 10:00 pm.
You can book the taxi online (with 24 hour’s notice) at the Taxi Amic website.
To book a taxi via phone call Taxi Amic at +34 934 208 088.
Barcelona Taxi Hacks
- Taxis with green lights can’t pick you up within 200 meters of any taxi stand.
- Don’t tip the drivers (tipping is not expected anywhere in Spain).
- For €2-3 extra you can call for an ‘ecological’ taxi at (0034) 932-783-000.
- If your hotel is near the airport check first to see if your hotel includes free shuttle service.
- Supplements are usually added at the end of the trip.
- Many of the smaller tourist streets in the Gotico, Raval, and Born are pedestrian-only. Check your destination and try to find a logical drop-off point in advance to avoid the driver giving you the run-around.
- Make sure you’re heading the right direction. Most Barcelona streets are one-way, so often a quick look on your smart phone GPS to position yourself on the right side of the street could save you money.
- The lost property contacts are +34 90 210 1564 or [email protected].
When to Take a Taxi in Barcelona
It’s so easy to get around Barcelona by public transport that taking taxis can be impractical.
For this reason I suggest taking a taxi in Barcelona if:
- You’re in a big hurry.
- The company is paying.
- It’s raining (rare).
- You’ve had a few drinks (not rare).
- You’re made of money (very rare).
If you’re going anywhere in groups of three or four the price difference between a taxi and the metro is negligible. You’ll get nearly anywhere central for 2-3 euros each.
Especially at night when buses run less frequently, getting an extra 45 minutes of sleep and not dragging your luggage around town at 4:00 am might be worth the extra money.
TAXILEADER – Barcelona Airport Taxi Transfer
Taxis are surely the quickest way to get to your hotel from the airport.
A ton of people have been asking me if there are any booking services and for this reason I’ve decided to go ahead and partner with Taxileader and their super efficient airport transfer to and from El Prat.
By clicking the button below you’ll get a free trip estimate in just seconds.
After using this service personally I can say the the prices are honest and many of my readers have said the same.
What’s cool is that you’ll have a little James Bond moment by arriving to your driver holding a sign with your name on it.
To book you’ll simply have to leave a valid credit card and a 20% deposit as a guarantee. You’ll only end up being charged at the end of the journey. If you want you can also pay in cash.
If you’re visiting Barcelona with kids you’ll also be entitled to a car seat or booster seat for free!
Booking Taxis via the Free Now App
At the end of the day this service combines the convenience and preciseness of Uber with the legitimacy and safety of using the city’s black and yellow cabs.
Since this app utilizes the city’s black and yellow cabs the price is the same as quoted above.
The good thing about booking using the app however that the address and directions will be more precise and there’s no way the cab driver can rip you off taking the long way. It also beats standing on the corner waiting.
Another advantage? With your first trip using the buttons below you’ll get a €5.00 discount on your first ride using the code ‘ashley.pil’.
How to Book a Taxi in Barcelona
To book a taxi in Barcelona via Free Now just follow the instructions below:
- Download the app using the buttons above.
- Indicate your personal details and payment methods: this way you won’t have to fool around with giving cash to the driver and there’s no chance they won’t know where it is since it’s connected to the GPS.
- Under the “promo code” portion of the app insert the discount code “ashley.pil” to have a €5.00 discount on your first trip.
- You’ll then need to insert your pickup and drop off points (just like Uber) and you’ll be quoted an estimate on the price.
- Get in and enjoy the ride! You’ll be able to follow the journey progress on your phone.
- You’ll be debited the price at the ride’s conclusion.
As of 2023 you can also order your Free Now taxi adapted for disabled visitors.
The fee for these special taxis is €14.00.
Barcelona Taxi FAQ
Do Barcelona taxis take credit cards?
Yes, even if the taxi drivers say no – all of the official black and yellow city taxis do take cards. You can pay by debit or credit. Don’t fall for it if they ask for cash, even though this is rare.
How to get a taxi in Barcelona?
Barcelona is one of the most taxi-filled cities in the world so it’s very possible to flag one on pretty much every corner in the city centre. It’s even more convenient ordering the official black and yellow cabs from the app Free Now.
Are there taxis at Barcelona airport?
Yes, both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 at Barcelona airport have designated taxi stands. You simply need to walk out of the terminal and you’ll find them. Expect to wait 10-15 minutes at peak times.
Are Barcelona taxis safe?
Yes, all Barcelona city taxis are heavily regulated and the taxi drivers are forced to run on the meter – so getting ripped off is incredibly rare. To make the experience even more secure you can book your taxi using the app Free Now.
Are taxis cheap in Barcelona?
Barcelona taxis are cheaper than other major European cities. The fixed minimum of €2.55 is about average, though the €1.23 fee per kilometre is much cheaper than a place like London (£1.71).
Are taxis expensive in Barcelona?
Compared to other major European cities the prices for Barcelona taxis are quite moderate. The per kilometre price is about 15% cheaper than capitals like Paris and London, and being a smaller city the typical trip is much shorter. Expect to pay between €10.00 and €20.00 for a typical city centre ride.
Still Wondering How to Take a Taxi in Barcelona?
You’re ready for your Barcelona taxi experience but if you’re not sure make to drop me a line in the comments below with your destination and I’ll let you know the best way to get around.
Also don’t be afraid to join the taxi discussion by first giving me a like on Facebook and then joining my group I’m Off to Barcelona – here you can ask any questions, air out grievances, and chat with thousands of Barcelona travelers.